Carbon Monoxide(CO) Advice & Installation

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

Carbon Monoxide (CO) has no smell, taste or colour and this is why it can go undetected. Carbon monoxide can be given off by any appliance which burns a fossil fuel such as gas, coal, wood, turf or oil.

If your appliance is faulty or your chimney is blocked you are at risk of CO poisoning. Current regulations state that you should have a CO alarm fitted in every room that you have a solid fuel appliance installed.

At Chim-Chimney we supply and fit sealed CO alarms with a 10-year lithium battery life.

Sealed CO alarms require no maintenance.

The reason we supply these type of alarms is there is no maintenance required and you don’t need to worry about changing the batteries or the chance that you or a member of your family take the battery out and use it for another appliance. This ensures that your alarm is always working and protecting your home.

However routine testing is advised and the alarm will need to be replaced once it has reached its expiry date.

Kidde Carbon Monoxide

We Sell and Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

All our Alarms are sealed units with a 10-year battery life.

Some danger signs:

  • Sooty stains on or around the appliance.
  • Appliances that don’t burn sufficient or go out.
  • Carbon monoxide sometimes makes people feel ill.

 

Warning sign

Some of the effects from Carbon Monoxide poisoning are:

  • Drowsiness
  • Headaches
  • Chest pains
  • Sudden dizziness when standing up
  • Sickness
  • Diarrhoea
  • Stomach pain

What to do:

  • Ensure all appliances have been correctly installed
  • All rooms that have an appliance installed must be properly ventilated – never block vents.
  • Make sure all chimneys and flues are regularly swept and kept clear by a certified chimney sweep.
  • Install CO alarms in all rooms that have fossil fuel appliances fitted
  • When a CO alarm sounds we would recommend that you vacate the property and do not re-enter until the alarm stops.
  • If there is a fire call the fire brigade. If there is no fire re-enter the property and open all the windows and doors to ventilate the property and cease using the appliance until it has been inspected by a certified engineer.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your claim.

Give us a call and we’ll be happy to help, call us on 045 523 834 .